Want to try your hand at recreating some of the fabulous food available at Rough Creek Lodge? Duck is always delectable (especially when it’s your own fresh catch), and there are infinite ways to use it. Chef Gerard’s Duck and Black Bean Chili is a real crowd pleaser, and we have the recipe for you here.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs diced small duck thigh or breast (no skin)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup diced poblano pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow pepper
- ¼ cup masa harina for thickening
- ½ cup Shiner Bock beer
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup ancho chile puree*
- 1 tablespoon toasted whole cumin
- 3 cups duck stock or chicken stock
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat oil in large pot
- Add Duck and Sear very well.
- Add garlic, onion and peppers
- Add The Masa, cook 2 -5 minutes until browned
- Add Shiner Bock Beer
- Add cooked black beans
- Add Ancho chile puree and cumin.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Season with Salt and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with Goat Cheese Sour Cream, Scallions & Cilantro
*ANCHO CHILE PUREE
Place 3-4 (seeded) ancho chilies in hot water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Place in blender with 1 cup of fresh hot water and puree until smooth.