One of the best parts about owning a vacation home at Rough Creek Lodge is preparing a delicious feast using your own fresh catch after a day spend roaming vast acres of prime hunting land. Chef Gerard Thompson’s Grilled Quail with Sherry Maple Glaze recipe adds a fall-inspired twist that will turn this classic dish into a surefire family favorite.
For the Marinade:
- 8 Texas quail
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- Rough Creek Chili Seasoning
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ cup sherry vinegar
For the Poblano Pepper Cheddar Cheese Grits:
- 1 qt water or lite chicken broth
- 1 cup Homestead Grits Mills’ Stone Ground Grits
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 fresh grilled poblano peppers, diced and seeded
- ½ cup diced tasso ham
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS – GLAZE
- Add ingredients to a pot and boil.
- Reduce until you it reaches a syrup consistency.
DIRECTIONS – QUAIL
- Add quail and marinate for up to 4 hours.
- Remove from marinade, season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over hot fire until cooked through.
- Place quail on plate and drizzle with a little of the glaze.
DIRECTIONS – GRITS
- Heat water or chicken broth.
- Season with salt, pepper, and butter.
- Whisk in grits.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add poblano peppers, tasso ham, and cheddar cheese.
- Continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust with salt and pepper as needed.